You know your pet best, and you may notice subtle changes from what is normal condition or behavior for your companion. Hillchester Animal Hospital provides you with assistance, support, and services when you have a veterinary emergency or need guidance in determining if you pet needs immediate care.
Call When You Need Us
If you have a concern, never hesitate to call for advice. You may also bring your pet directly to our hospital during business hours, for an emergency exam and treatment.
We do recommend, however, that you call to inform us that you are bringing your pet in. While emergencies do not require an appointment, a quick call allows us to be ready for your arrival: (708) 449‑6300.
Chicago Area Canine Influenza Information
Please read this article on how to minimize your dog’s exposure to the recent canine influenza outbreak in the Chicago area.
Hillchester Animal Hospital Hours
We are open five days a week to serve you. Our hospital hours are:
- Mondays 8:30-6:00pm
- Tuesdays 8:30-5:00pm
- Wednesdays 8:30-5:00pm
- Thursdays 8:30-5:00pm
- Fridays 8:30-5:00pm
- Saturday and Sunday-Closed
After-Hours Emergency Facilities
When our hospital is closed, we recommend calling the following veterinary emergency facility:
Arboretum View Animal Hospital
Address: 2551 Warrenville Road, Downers Grove, IL 60515
Phone: (630) 963‑0424
ASPCA Poison Control Center
The ASPCA Poison Control Center is the more comprehensive source for information when your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance. The center is open for calls 24 hours a day: (888) 426‑4435.
There is a $60 consultation fee, and it is helpful to have the following information:
- The product or toxic substance in question;
- Approximate time of ingestion; and
- Amount ingested.
What Is a Veterinary Emergency?
Following is a list of common symptoms that we would consider a veterinary emergency. Call us if your pet is experiencing any of these:
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of consciousness
- Straining or inability to urinate
- Profuse diarrhea or vomiting
- Seizures, excessive salivation, or exposure to poisons (rat poison, plants, antifreeze, etc.)
- Abnormalities/difficulties giving birth
- Large open wounds
- Bloated abdomen
- Eye problems
- Inability to stand or walk
- Loss of appetite for more than two days
- Known ingestion of foreign objects (strings, needles, toys, socks, batteries, coins, rocks, etc.)
- Known ingestion of potentially harmful foods (chocolate, grapes/raisins, onions, bones, gum, etc.)
- Known ingestion of any medications not intended for your pet